Procedure for adding a new sport
Students, teachers, staff, or parents may initiate the process for establishing a new sport or
expanding an existing sport to another level. The steps listed below will be followed.
*All requests to establish a new sport or expand an existing sport to another level will initially be
presented to the UTHS Director of Athletics.
*The Athletic Director will take the request to the school Principal for comment and approval for consideration.
*If the Principal approves the request for consideration, the Principal or designee forwards the
request to the Superintendent, with his/her comments.
*The Superintendent, Principal, and Athletic Director gather information about each of the elements for consideration of the proposal for approval or disapproval. The following elements are considered in the approval of a new sport or the expansion of an existing sport:
1. Liability and safety
2. Compatibility with UTHS policies and regulations
3. Compliance with Title IX and other applicable laws
4. Availability of practice and game space
5. Availability of same-level competition locally
6. Appropriateness for student group
7. Demonstrated need/interest in the new activity
8. Timeliness of the request in relation to the UTHS budget cycle
9. Availability of staff (including sponsors, coaches, trainers)
10. Availability of adequate administrative supervision
11. Sustainability over time
12. Availability of transportation
There must be a positive response to each of items one through six in order for a request to move
forward for presentation to the School Board during the budget cycle. Items seven through twelve will be approved or disapproved by the UTHS School Board. The results of the School Board’s discussion and examination will then be returned to the Athletic Director for official request to establish this new sport, or tabled for failure to satisfactorily meet the listed requirements.